Jonathan Joy/ Sara Sancho-Bonet
First off we are huge Juiceheads, not the Guido kind. Love it so much that We have failed at a few experiments. Wasting juice is super expensive. Preparing and making another is not what anyone’s morning routine had in mind.
A few things to remember when juicing…
- Always wash your fruits and veggies before juicing. Even the freshest ingredients may get cross-contaminants and/or sprayed with waxes and chemicals to keep them lookin fresh. Trader joes has an organic veggie wash for under $5!
- Organic is the only way to ensure a delicious, pure juice. Some fruits and veggies have thinner skins that absorb pesticides, leaving us to taste RoundUp and other products used.
- Most fruits and veggies are fine in whatever increment you desire. However there are a few ingredients due to there powerful flavor agents are ratchet in huge amounts. Below are a few commonly used ingredients.
- Beets- While beets balance the body by increasing energy, oxygen/ blood flow, cleansing the liver, and actually allowing the body to adapt more easily to exercise by boosting endurance… too much can nauseate the stomach due to sugar content and the flavor can become very unbearable.
- Lemon/Lime/ Grapefruit- Citrus fruits such as Lemon, Lime and grapefruit add beautiful citrus notes, vitamin C and acidity to a juice. We all know how we pucker at sour lemonade… Let’s not ruin our juice with it!
- Ginger- fiery, pungent in taste ginger is recognizable in every dish. calcium, sodium, iron, magnesium, potassium, manganese, selenium, Vitamins C, E and B6 are jam packed in there. Containing essential proteins and oils, ginger’s potent compound infuse powerful flavor and health benefits. Use it sparingly as potent is an understate of juice flavor when too much of this root is used.
- Onion- Thing is most people refuse to think onion juice is even an option, but adding it to your juice or taking one shot a day can do an array of things repair your stomach, cataracts or even REVERSE GREY OR BALDING HAIR/ SCALP. Use it, but please, sparingly.
- Garlic- We all love this stinky clove, but in our juice? Garlic has numerous health benefits as an antioxidant (Vitamin E and Coenzyme), an antibiotic that fights infection and unclogging sinuses. Even rumored to be an Aphrodisiac, Garlic’s flavor is delicious but can painfully ruin any delicious juice.
More tips and recipes to come! Happy Juicing!!